Ukay Lessons

Posted on 9:00 PM, under

I just stood behind her.

Plastic bags filled with vegetables and what-not’s in tow, I followed her around as she sorted out clothes in one of those ukay-ukay stores in the market.

My knees were starting to fail. My Nikes weren’t doing their job. My arms feel as if they’ve gained an inch or two in length.

It was like revisiting elementary school. Just for biting down on a cracker in class, I was made to stand in a corner for the rest of the period. That was for the first offense. For the second offense, you’d have to squat on the floor. For the third? I don’t know. I never got past the second. Although I pretty much think the third penalty would be something like this.

I grunted as I adjusted the bags to let some blood flow to my fingers.

Okay ka lang?” she asked with concern.

Yep. Sige lang.” I replied with a smile.

Sure?”

Oo. I’m okay.”

Don’t get me wrong. She doesn’t let me carry her stuff if she can do so on her own. In fact, we even argue over who should carry what – which almost always ends with us splitting the cargo even.

Daan din tayo sa Harrison” she coyly suggested.

Ha?

Sige, hintayin mo na lang ako dito...” She had one of those twinkles in her eye.

Oo na, sige, halika na.”

She’s addictively sly.

We walk a good distance to Harrison Road where there’s another ukay store. Over and over again I ask myself, why don’t we go around stores first before going to the market? Then I realize: we don’t really plan days like this. It’s more of a “spontaneous-turn-of-events” that starts out as a regular trip to the market and ends as the Iron Man Challenge.

We live each day like this. Spontaneous. I live for days like this. Alive.

See, I don’t care where we go or what we do whenever we’re together. It’s the little things – things we normally take for granted – that matter. From making faces to make a baby in a bus laugh to enjoying a cup of free coffee, the little things form the foundation for the bigger ones; something like glue holding your shoes together.

This is what I learned: You don’t have to go all out every time. Just sit back and relax. The universe will unfold itself before you in God’s own sweet time. Be content with the thought that you are NOT in control of how the earth spins and there’s Someone up there Who is – and that He always has YOU in mind. It feels good to be on the driver’s seat most times, but it feels great if there’s someone who’s willing to switch with you. Don’t be too serious; life is too precious to be wasted on worrying about things we don’t have control over. Live your life one day at a time, giving due regard and preparation for the future. It will come whether you like it or not, but moments wasted worrying about it will be lost forever. Ask for seconds. Nobody can judge you for getting a second serving of something good. Love much and hate less. There’s nothing like waking up the next morning with a smile.

I’ll have to carry these bags a little longer. So what? It’s not like the world will be caving in if I don’t. After all, it’s not what I’m carrying that matters – it’s who I’m carrying them with. I find myself enjoying every minute spent walking around, following her through a crowd and standing by, watching as she beams with joy as she picks up a choice find.

Oo, bagay mo. Ang cute n’yan.”

She smiles. And everything’s right with the universe again.


| edit post

3 Reply to "Ukay Lessons"

  • Unknown on 11:42 PM

    wow... i never thought ukay could be so philosophical... :)

    glad that you're writing again... :)

     

    eris on 6:06 PM

    i love this blog kuya. miss you. im going through a lot right now and this made me feel better.. hope to talk to you soon

     

    N on 5:09 AM

    Like! =)